📍 TEMPLETON, CA
With the coming of the railroad in 1886, the West Coast Land Company set aside 160 acres for the town of Templeton after purchasing 63,000 acres of surrounding countryside for subdividing into small ranches to sell to settlers. Originally the town was called Crocker after Charles F. Crocker, a vice president of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Crocker declined the honor of having a town named after him and chose Templeton, the name of his 2-year-old son, instead.
Albert Crum built the first store building at the corner of Sixth and Main streets. The original building had two stories. The upper story was used for a hall until 1888 when it was converted to living quarters for Mr. Crum and his wife. When Mrs. Crum complained that the structure was too drafty and cold, Mr. Crum took the upper story and moved it to a lot near the corner of Sixth and Crocker streets, where it still stands. After the business was sold, the lower half of the building was moved one block north and is now Mc-Phee's Grill. Thus, the first building in Templeton still exists although in two different locations.