When trying to get in great shape the worst thing you can do is the same thing every workout or week.
If the goal is to simply get leaner and stronger (most people’s goal) then small tweets to your exercise program each week will do you wonders! Here are a few ways to make some small changes:
1. Change the weight you’re lifting and aim for progressive overload.
2. Change the tempo (few weeks with slow reps to start then progress to pause reps and the heavy lifts for a few weeks).
3. If the goal is to build muscle use slow tempos with light loads, pause reps with moderate loads, then heavy weights (3-6 reps). If you decided to bench heavy for example I’d recommend warming up with a light weight and thin bands attached and work on fast reps to warm-up. 🧨
4. Change the amount of set (progress the sets by 1 for three weeks then regress it for a few more to reduce the risk overtraining and plateau.
5. If it’s a lower body exercise change foot placement or bar position (e.x, wide squats, narrow squats, front squat, overhead squats, SL squats). Major point:
Simply changing exercises randomly every time you go to a gym is not the point here. Stay focussed on getting to gym multiple times per week and aim for progressive overload. But if you decide on eating dessert for breakfast and chips every night, well.. it will show. 🤷♂️💯
If you’re at a loss consult a trainer or check out some online training resources that have become relatively affordable.
Here are some reputable accounts if you need an online program:
Ps. These are just easy ways an inexperienced gym goer can use to get their ass in shape. There are a million in a ways to progress someone so these are not black and white but simple ways to get stronger and in better shape.